Probate is the court supervised legal process for wrapping up one’s affairs and transferring their property when they die. Trust administration is the legal process for transferring property pursuant to the terms of a Trust, typically without court supervision.
Our probate and trust administration practice assists clients with the logistics of asset identification and collection, payment of debts, expenses and taxes and ultimate distribution of the balance of the estate to the beneficiaries. Whether that happens with a formal probate proceeding, a small estate proceeding or with trust administration, we assist you with the following:
• Identifying and notifying beneficiaries and creditors
• Publishing required notices in the newspaper
• Selecting the appropriate administration process such as formal versus informal administration, small estate proceeding, trust administration or trust proceeding
• Drafting and filing appropriate documents with the court
• Collecting and maintaining assets
• Negotiating with creditors
• Working with an accountant to prepare and file required tax returns
• Accounting to the court and beneficiaries
• Ultimate distribution of the estate
When a loved one dies, the last thing you want to be involved in is a complex legal process. We do our best to make it manageable by guiding you through the system and assisting you in every way possible to make the process smooth, understandable and efficient.